SGI makes every effort to use environmentally responsible packaging that effectively contains, protects, and ships our products because we know that "smart packaging" can be a benefit to both our customers and the environment. SGI maintains excellent relationships with its packaging and component suppliers who share this commitment in the following ways:
- SGI's custom packaging supplier collects used product packaging from us and our customers and refurbishes a significant portion of the customized crates, pallets, foam, etc. for reuse, thus minimizing landfill impact.
- SGI's contract manufacturers reuse electronic component "chip trays" by refilling and recycling them in a closed-loop supply and return system.
- Instead of packaging computer side panels and trim components in standard packaging (e.g., crates, bubble wrap and cardboard), SGI worked with its suppliers to design, build and use wheeled "trim carts" that hold multiple racks that can be filled, transported, and re-filled over and overů a practice that protects the components better than standard packaging, avoids the generation of waste packaging material, and reduces the cost of product packaging (which we pass on to our customers).
- SGI recommends that its suppliers use bulk containers for incoming parts whenever possible, which can significantly reduce the amount of packaging materials required.
- If reusable packaging cannot be utilized, every attempt is made to ensure that the packaging materials can be easily separated and recycled.
Our product packaging components are primarily corrugated, polyurethane and/or polyethylene foam, and wood. SGI's packaging is free of heavy metals, halogenated polymers and ozone depleting substances. The packaging is typically marked with recycling emblems that promote recycling and identify the package as readily recyclable.
SGI adheres to international packaging standards and methods established by the following organizations: