Next Generation Data Center Infrastructure
Overview and Features
Installation and Service Offerings
This guide (PDF)
describes the key features of modular data centers, and guides potential users in selecting a feature set that best meets their energy efficiency needs.(Courtesy of Lawrence Berkeley National Labs, Feb 2011)
ICE Cube® revolutionizes fundamental data center design principles through its modularity and deployment flexibility, yielding substantial business and technological advantages when compared to the often costly and slow to construct brick-and mortar data centers of the past.
Every ICE Cube data center is a standard 20' or 40' shipping container on the outside. But on the inside, ICE Cube delivers the latest in data center innovation. Based on SGI's proven experience in server, cabinet and power infrastructure, ICE Cube delivers compelling IT density at industry-leading efficiency levels. Capable of achieving a Power Utilization Effectiveness (PUE) rating below 1.12, its unique cooling technology dramatically reduces cooling costs by as much as 80% over traditional data centers. Some models, in conjunction with SGI's award-winning DC Power technology, eliminate all IT equipment-level fans for further power consumption reductions, maximizing efficiency and reliability.
- Up to 1920U of available space for fully customizable SGI Eco-Logical™ servers and/or storage
- Up to 46,080 processing cores or 29.8 petabytes of storage per container
- Sophisticated cooling technology enables up to 80% reduction in cooling costs vs. traditional data center (PUE < 1.12)
- Easy serviceability with direct, aisle-accessible systems
- Dual row and universal container models support all SGI server and storage systems
- Quick and easy deployments accelerate time to results
- Available with SGI servers featuring the latest Intel® Xeon® processors
Wide-Ranging Deployment Scenarios
Designed to reduce data center costs, deployment times and maintenance, ICE Cube is ideal for either supplementing or replacing traditional data center facilities. Modular data centers are also compelling as disaster recovery sites, field deployed compute and storage assets, or even to address temporary spikes in IT demand. With both air and water cooled models available, ICE Cube data centers can be deployed to nearly any location in any environment.