A powerful and versatile HPC platform, the Altix 3700 runs standard Linux and delivers breakthrough performance. The newest generation of SGI's high-end servers, Altix 3700 Bx2 continues to win awards for its performance, ease of use and breakthrough capabilities. Its growth is fast outpacing the industry. Altix 3700 also leverages industry standard components to offer the most value in high end computing.
Datasheet (PDF 135K)
The most versatile platform to handle large HPC workloads
- Scale up or scale out on one platformup to 512P in one system
- Run small to large jobs in any programming model
- Highly efficient development and administration environment
The power behind breakthroughs in science and engineering
- Break new barriers with up to 24 TB of addressable memory
- Scale even stubborn applications for real sustained performance
- Extraordinary "Peer I/O" capability: direct high speed link to memory
The only supercomputing solution fully devoted to Industry standards, including Linux® and Linux only
- Access hundreds of 64-bit technical applications
- No-compromise Linux performance with a complete compute and data management solution
- Benefit from SGI's leadership in support of HPC in the Linux community
- Choice of SUSE® Linux Enterprise Server or Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® Advanced Server (up to 64 processors and 64GB memory per system)
Features and Benefits
|Up to 512 processors tightly coupled and operating under a single copy of the O/S
||The SGI NUMAflex computing design provides global shared memory with 6.4 GB/sec bandwidth and latency less than 1 microsecond. All resources in the system are managed through a
single instance of the operating systemthe industry's largest single system image. Altix 3700 Bx2
features NUMAlink 4, SGI's latest high performance router. These features deliver:
- Fastest time-to-solution for capability applications and best job throughput for mixed capacity workloads.
- Flexibility for the widest range of HPC workloads.
- Ease of use for apps development, optimization and administration.
Design and Implementation
|The SGI Altix 3700 Bx2 system provides performance and real scalability with its NUMAflex modular computing design. There is no central bus or switch-only modules and NUMAlink cables. System resources such as CPU, memory or I/O can be scaled independently. Benefits are:
Buy and independently scale the resources neededa system balanced for your apps and use.
Investment protection takes on new meaning with the ability to independently upgrade, expand or swap system resources to keep up with changing user demands, organizational structures and technology improvements.
|Extreme capability in memory and I/O
||New performance frontiers with very large memoryup to 24 TB of globally addressable memory
Breakthrough performance enhancement with Peer I/OAltix 3700 Bx2 introduces the capability of Peer I/O, which is the industry's first direct-attach I/O technology.
|Complete HPC solution on Linux
||Performance accelerationSGI's complete development and administration environment, including Intel compilers, SGI libraries and third party development, analysis and optimization tools, provides the environment necessary for great performance.
The most scalable, fastest and most complete data management infrastructure on Linux from the clustered CXFS filesystem to NAS and SAN servers, hierarchical storage management software and record-breaking backup, Altix 3700 Bx2 has the most complete data solution on Linux today.
|System and component redundancy and diagnostics for RAS
||Inherent reliability On top of the inherent reliability features that are built into the Itanium 2 processors, SGI builds reliability into each of the modules in the Altix 3700 Bx2 system. Power supplies and cooling fans are N+1 redundant and can be replaced without system downtime in the event of failure. The SGI Altix 3700 Bx2 system also uses the same diagnostic controller subsystem as the SGI® Origin® 3000 system has used for many years. This subsystem reports intermittent errors and recommends preemptive remedial action to on-site or remote SGI service personnel.