LiveArc Digital Asset Management Platform
LiveArc is an application environment for managing all types of digital assets in complete flexibility and extreme scalability, ranging from single user environments to widely distributed remote collaborations. LiveArc enables the concept of a true ‘living archive' for all digital content in virtually any workflow.
Built on an extensible services-oriented architecture, LiveArc provides a multi-versioned asset management and revision control system, with workflow and web serving in a single package. Not only does this simplify operation and administration, this flexibility enables LiveArc to support the integration of legacy applications and metadata types, and to easily evolve as workflow requirements grow. This allows LiveArc to act as a common interface, bridging multiple legacy environments and overcoming incompatible data silos, without the need to discard current applications or infrastructure.
Tight Integration with DMF
LiveArc is tightly integrated with SGI's DMF tier virtualization solution, which provides users seamless online visibility to multiple types of disk and tape-based storage in a virtualized data pool. Adding LiveArc's ability to federate across multiple different data repositories in parallel gives the platform a virtually limitless ability to scale in both data volume and file count.
LiveArc eliminates the need to develop most application independent infrastructure allowing resources to be concentrated on application specific aspects such as business logic and user interfaces instead.
All digital asset management applications, whether they are desktop or web-based, can be unified on a common platform, maximizing reuse and interoperability. Industry standards, such as XML and HTTP enable business-to-business integration and exchange. LiveArc supports the integration of legacy applications ensuring common interfaces to all digital assets without needing to discard current applications.
Features & Benefits
LiveArc Asset Services
LiveArc provides a comprehensive set of asset management services for:
- Creating versioned and non-versioned assets with (or without) content and metadata and controlled authoring using check-in/check-out and locking
- Attaching arbitrary metadata to any asset — unlike traditional storage systems, metadata may be incrementally updated and refined over time allowing assets to be easily repurposed
- Creating any number of dictionaries of terms (and term relationships such as synonym, misspelling, etc) for maintaining the integrity of metadata, spell checking and allowing people to find what they are looking for (even if they cannot spell)
- Creating any number of hierarchical classification schemes
- Establishing arbitrary types of relationships between assets
- Creating arbitrary views of assets for different application and web-portals
- Creating arbitrary labels for asset versions. When combined with views, labels provide a simple, yet powerful, mechanism for publishing assets.
- Simple and advanced searching/queries
- Event-based triggers
- Extensible types of data storage systems/devices
- Automatic metadata extraction from asset content (images, MPEG video, documents, etc.) Supported file types are extensible
- Automatic proxy generation for images, the proxy generation framework is extensible to cater for other types of assets
- Extensible transcoding framework
- Users, groups and access control on services, documents, and other entities
LiveArc Automation Services
Business processes can be captured and automated using LiveArc process automation services. LiveArc automation services include:
- Parallel and conditional branching, timeouts, e-mail, process libraries, sub-processes, dynamic resource allocation, etc.
- Prioritized task lists
- Collection and analysis of execution statistics for process monitoring and re-engineering
- Process definitions are assets allowing complete control over publication times and portals
LiveArc includes an embedded DICOM server supporting the DICOM Store SCP protocol. This allows any DICOM data (e.g. MRI, CT, PET, etc.) to be directly ingested from any DICOM compliant client/scanner/etc. LiveArc will create assets using the DICOM patient/study/series object model. DICOM data is then available for research or other purposes using the rich set of LiveArc capabilities.
Web Content Management
The LiveArc server is also a web server that enables the creation and management of web portals. In addition to controlling and publishing web-based content using the powerful asset management features, LiveArc has web-specific features:
- Virtual websites, access control and URL mapping
- Simple template-based page generation: templates may be URL and/or page type specific
- Compound templates, enabling common web components to be reused across may pages
- Dynamic content generation using XML/XSL/XSLT
- Website, URL and context-sensitive interfaces for the same underlying data
- Support for HTTP and HTTPS
Federation & Replication
LiveArc can be configured to federate autonomous repositories, enabling data collaboration between different organizations, institutions, and groups. Federation allows distributed queries and asset retrieval and/or replication. Replication can be configured for uni- or bi-directional replication of metadata and/or content between one or more peers based on arbitrary queries.
In addition, replication can be used to establish redundancy in the event of a disaster at one or more sites.
LiveArc services, metadata and content can be accessed via industry standard protocols including HTTP, HTTPS, TCP/IP, WEBDAV and SOAP. XML metadata can be converted to any other format using the built-in XSLT processor. Scripting uses Tcl or BeanShell.
LiveArc is an open architecture platform that can be deployed on laptops, desktops and enterprise class servers using Unix, Linux, Windows or Mac OS X operating systems.
LiveArc is a result of a development partnership between SGI and Arcitecta Pty Ltd of Australia, and is sold with SGI InfiniteStorage solutions. SGI has deployed LiveArc in media, science and research institutions, government, and academia in the Asia Pacific region under the name Mediaflux™. LiveArc is now available worldwide exclusively from SGI, through SGI Professional Services.
Mediaflux is a trademark of Arcitecta Pty Limited in Australia