SGI Altix 3000 Series Installation and Maintenance
This course provides system support engineers with the skills necessary to install and maintain the SGI Altix 3000 family systems. At course completion, the student should be able to install and configure SGI Altix 3000 systems, troubleshoot system problems to the field-replaceable unit (FRU) level, replace all system FRUs, and perform necessary maintenance tasks.
- Processors and product line
- System architecture
- System components
- System cabling
- ESD/board and panel removal
- System controllers
- EFI (extensible firmware interface)
- POD (power on and discovery)
- Fault isolation
- ESP (Embedded Support Partner)
- Disk partitioning
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Describe the SGI Altix 3000 family product line, system architecture, components, supported configurations, and limitations
- Install and configure SGI Altix 3000 family systems and upgrades
- List the software requirements and limitations that are associated with the SGI ProPack bundle
- Perform basic Linux® administration functions
- Use commands and utilities to obtain system information
- Use available diagnostics and commands to troubleshoot system failures to the field-replaceable unit (FRU) level
- Remove and replace all FRUs
This course is intended for students who fall into one of the following categories:
- Service engineers who are responsible for remedial or preventive maintenance on SGI Altix 3000 family servers
- Service engineers who have experience working with Linux operations that traverse the filesystem; creating, modifying, and removing files; and editing text or who have attended the SGI course Introduction to Linux or Linux System Administration.
- Students who have at least six months of experience performing preventive maintenance on any workstation
- Anyone interested in learning more about the topics covered
- Either students must have attendedd Introduction to Linux or have at least six months of experience with the Linux operating system.
- This hardware class is available upon request.
- In order for a student to be eligible for a hardware course, the company sponsoring the student must have a contract with SGI that states that the company can service its own equipment. The SGI Education staff will verify the contract prior to a student's enrollment.