SGI Origin 3000 Series and SGI Onyx 3000 Series Maintenance
This course teaches engineers and service personnel how to perform maintenance on SGI Origin 3000 series servers and SGI Onyx 3000 series graphics systems. Students learn to install, configure, troubleshoot, and verify the proper operation of these systems. Learning labs and troubleshooting labs provide students with hands-on experience.
- Hardware overview
- System configuration
- Data flow
- System documentation
- Troubleshooting the CPU system
- UNIX boot process
- Troubleshooting the graphics system
Upon completion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Trace the flow of data through the CPU and graphics subsystems and correctly describe the purpose of each functional block
- Identify how the system configures logic boards and I/O devices during the boot process
- Interconnect multiple system modules
- Isolate an induced failure to a single field replaceable unit (FRU)
- Demonstrate basic system administration skills necessary to gather required status information
- Monitor system activity, install new software, and partition and create filesystems under the IRIX operating system
- Students must have attended the Introduction to IRIX course of have at least six months of experience with either the IRIX or UNIX operating system.
This course is intended for:
- Service engineers who are responsible for remedial or preventive maintenance on SGI Origin 3000 series servers and SGI Onyx 3000 series systems
- Service engineers who: have experience with UNIX or IRIX operations that traverse the file system; can create, modify, and remove files; and have edited text or have attended the SGI course Introduction to IRIX
- Students with at least six months of active work experience conducting preventive maintenance on any multiprocessor computer system with greater than four processors
- This hardware class is available upon request.
- In order for a student to be eligible for a hardware course, the company sponsoring the student must have a contract with SGI that states that the company can service its own equipment. The SGI Education staff will verify the contract prior to a student's enrollment.