Transferring Warranty and Support Contracts
Pursuant to the warranty provided with all SGI® hardware equipment, only new systems purchased from SGI by their original owners or resellers authorized by SGI are entitled to warranty support. Warranty support is not available for systems that have been resold or otherwise transferred to new owners.
Similarly, support provided by warranty upgrades and support contracts may not be transferred to new system owners.
Guidelines and Customer Process
SGI's new Global Entitlement program is intended to benefit SGI's Global Customer Service base and help with customers' increasing need to move their factory warranties, warranty upgrades, and standard service contracts when moving their system(s). Service moves may be temporary (less than three months in duration), long-term, or permanent.
Who is eligible?
Any end user or Channel partner.
You may request a transfer of your factory warranty and/or service contract if:
- You are a Channel partner exporting/moving a system to an end user, currently under factory warranty and/or a service contract, to another SGI subsidiary country or to another geographical location within the same country
- You are an end user exporting/moving a system to an end user, currently under factory warranty and/or a service contract, to another SGI subsidiary country or to another geographical location within the same country
You may not request a transfer of your factory warranty and/or service contract if:
- Your factory warranty and/or service contract will expire within 45 days of requesting the service move.
What can be transferred?
When exporting a system, you may transfer any unexpired factory warranty, warranty upgrade, or standard service contract that is in effect, with the following restrictions:
- Factory warranty:
- SGI will transfer only the unexpired factory warranty for any SGI system sold by SGI or by an SGI authorized reseller, including demo/development systems resold by an authorized Channel partner.
- The factory warranty is subject to change without notice. Customers wishing to transfer support should check with their local SGI office to determine the factory warranty currently available at time of transfer.
- Warranty upgrades and other service contracts:
- Warranty upgrade contracts and other service contracts may be transferred on an as-available basis. Where a locally customized service was purchased, SGI will offer service from the Global Portfolio in the destination location that most closely matches the customer's original service.
- The most popular SGI support services (SGI® FullExpress™ and SGI® FullCare™) are available in countries where SGI has a wholly owned subsidiary. This ensures that you can transfer the most commonly purchased services wherever SGI systems are used.
- SGI will advise you during the application process about other services to which you might wish to transfer that are available in the destination country.
- Warranty upgrades and other service contracts may be transferred only to and from the original owner of the system. New owners should contact SGI to arrange for a new service contract.
How do I request a warranty, warranty upgrade or support contract transfer?
The move request form is available on Supportfolio. In order for you to log your request, you must be the Registered Contact for the system(s) being moved. If you are not already a Registered Contact, you can sign up to become one on Supportfolio.
The form must be completed and submitted at least 15 working days before the system arrives in the destination country for a customer-installable system or 30 days before if SGI must install the system.
What information will one need in order to fill out SGI's Service Move Request Tool?
- Primary contact person for this move
- Original location of the system(s)
- How the system(s) will be moved and by whom
- The new location of the system(s)
- Primary contact person at the new location
- SGI serial numbers of each system being moved
Will SGI confirm it has received the service move request and that the transfer is possible?
Yes. The information you enter using this five-step, Web-based tool will be forwarded to an SGI Technology Solutions entitlement specialist, who will guide the entire process for you. This person will contact you with important information about your move and ask any additional questions we may have. Please be advised, in the event equipment is relocated from its installed site to a different country, there may be additional service and/or support charges related to such relocation.
Will my contract be transferred in the destination country?
Yes. For warranty upgrades and other service contracts billed as one-time billings, a new contract will not be required in the destination country. As soon as you agree to the terms of the transfer, your service agreement will be transferred to the SGI office within the destination country that covers the requested service.
Once the schedule for the transfer is fixed, can I change it?
Yes. Please inform the SGI Technology Solutions entitlement specialist as early as possible of any changes to the schedule.
Will the service start exactly on the scheduled date?
Yes, unless we are notified otherwise.